Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mac Miller

From his mixtapes to recently released Blue Slide Park, Mac Miller has definitely proven that it is possible to be an independent artist and still make it big. College campuses across the country have all gone crazy for Mac. The Blue Slide Park tour came to MSU in October, filling the Auditorium with a sold-out show:


Blue Slide Park got a lot of mixed reviews when it came out... people that had been fans of Mac Miller from his start, for the most part, did not appreciate the album as much as new listeners. It has a very different sound and style than his past albums, and I really think it has to grow on you. I personally did not like it much at first but I started to like it more and more every time I listened to it, and now I love it. 

The Macadelic Tour kicks off on the 25 of this month:


Mac Miller is playing college campuses across America, considering that this is where the majority of his fans come from. He will not be coming back to MSU this time, but he does have shows at Eastern Michigan University on April 4, and at Western Michigan University on April 5. I'm excited to say that I will be attending the show at Western! 

The most interesting thing about Mac Miller as an artist is the fact that he is the same age as most college freshmen/sophomores. He started his career when he was about 15 years old... This is when most kids are just getting into the swing of things in high school. He was releasing mixtapes by 17, touring by 18, and signed to Rostrum Records by 19. Just last month he turned 20, and is currently on tour with two more tours coming up. I'd say that Mac Miller has done pretty well for himself. 

Recently Cobra Starship released their new song "Middle Finger", featuring Mac Miller on their album Night Shades. I think that the mix of Cobra Starship and Mac Miller is very unexpected; I have been a fan of Cobra Starship forever, and I never would have paired the two. However, I think the song is awesome. The styles of the two mix together extremely well. It pushes some boundaries, but doesn't really take it over the top. It is very outside of Cobra Starship's usual range of material, so I think they took a big risk on the song. Check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment